Going green now isn’t too hard. Here are some ways to go green now:
- Lower your heating/air-conditioning. If you are too hot, wear shorts and a t shirt. If you are cold, wear sweatpants and a sweater. It’s as simple as that. You can save money on your utilities bill just buy doing that, and save the environment too.
- Set your washing machine to cold water. Modern washing machines can wash your clothes just as well in cold water as in warm water. Use some good detergent, preferably organic detergent.
- Don’t use your dryer to dry your clothes! Use a drying rack or a clothes line. You can easily dry your clothes overnight, or while you’re at work. This will save you tons of money on your utilities bill!
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs, rather than standard bulbs. CF light bulbs use about 10% less electricity than standard light bulbs, so expect 10% savings on your light usage! That being said, also turn off lights in rooms when you are not using them. In college, the washroom light was always on, I did not realize how much electricity we used to waste until recently!
- Use less water. Double check your faucets to make sure they’re not leaking. Shower more often than taking a bath, and take quick showers. Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth or shave. Also put a water-pressurizer on your taps so that you can limit the amount of water coming out. Check your toilets to see if they use less water than the older toilets.
- Walk or bike rather than drive everywhere. You will be more healthy, and you will also save gas. An extra few minutes does not hurt. Take public transit when you can, and carpool more often. Do not underestimate how detrimental transportation is to the environment.
Going green is as simple as that! Follow these steps and implement them in your daily routines, and before you know it, you will be saving money!