The world is currently on the verge of a global water crisis. There is less fresh water than ever, and many people in need are not getting the water they need to survive. This is not because bodies of water are magically disappearing, no, this is because of two reasons; global warming and water pollution.
Over the past few decades, our lack of concern for the environment has caused bodies of water to evaporate and the clean bodies of water to be polluted beyond any hope of purifying. We have two options: continue to waste water until we are all dead of thirst, or to conserve water.
Conserving water is not really that bad. Here are some ways you can conserve water now:
- Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth. Rinse your mouth, put the paste on the brush, wet the brush, turn off the tap, brush, spit, brush, spit, turn on the water, rinse your mouth, gargle, wash your face. Done, you have saved about 2 minutes of wasted water.
- Buy a water pressurizer. These handy devices go on your tap and limit the amount of water coming out at once. You are now using less water than you did before.
- Buy new toilets. Old toilets used to use a lot more water per flush, but the newer ones are more efficient (and cleaner) than old toilets.
- Take quicker showers. Don’t just stand in the shower, clean yourself! How about this: Rinse yourself, turn off the tap, soap yourself, shampoo your hair, turn on the water and rinse yourself again, and you’re done. You have taken an efficient and clean shower without wasting water.
- Check for leaking faucets. Get them fixed.
- Invest in a dishwasher, it uses less water than hand-washing dishes.
- Wash your clothes in bigger loads. You use less water by washing one heavy load rather than two small loads. Hand-wash clothes if/when you can.
- Use rain barrels for your garden. Buy a barrel and leave it out to fill up when it rains, and use that water for your garden rather than the water from the hose.
If you are already following these techniques, good for you, if not, these are simple techniques that can lead to a brighter future!